Saturday, November 14, 2009

Make-up!

Wow! For some reason, this has been a harder thing to do than last year. I've already shot my goal to do it every day...twice! Oops. OH well.

Yesterday I was grateful for:

1. A morning off, with the exception of going to get Miss E from school. I didn't go anywhere. I did tidy up and vacuum, but even that seemed not a big deal. It was nice.

2. Scriptures. I was reading my scriptures and realized how bogged down I get with all the junk that goes on around me (and by that I mean all the news and political blogs and visiting teaching drama I let myself get swallowed up in), which I then let set me off. No wonder I thought I was having a heart attack a few weeks ago! And even though it was just heartburn, man do I let myself get worked up over NOTHING; which means it's very hard for the Spirit of Peace and Comfort and Thanksgiving to fill my heart. It was a good reminder to keep the frivolous things in check and focus on what really matters.

3. Modern communication. How wonderful it is to be able to call people on the phone, on the cell phone, to email, to Skype even. It doesn't take months...it literally takes seconds to reach out to talk to someone. What a miracle and blessing.

Today I am grateful for:

1. Noise makers. The baby's noise maker (aka: ionizer air cleaner) bit the dust last night, so off I went to Walmart to get a new one. They didn't have the one I wanted, but they have a slew of loud and cheap heater/fans on sale now, and it turns out that the one I got will work perfectly, especially for her cold and drafty room. Yay!

2. Being a more seasoned mom during cough and cold season. It ticks me off that they took medicine off the shelves for kids under 2, because sometimes they really could use some relief, more so than just sucking snot out of their nose. So, I'm glad I know what I can give my baby when she's sick because it was "pediatrician approved" for all my kids before "the change," and it's still "pediatrician approved," when I call. And what's nice is that I know I can call and my ped tells me, "You already know what to do," because I'm already doing it!

3. "I'm so glad when Daddy comes home! Glad as I can be! Clap my hands and Shout for Joy and climb upon his knee! Put my arms around his neck, hug him tight like this. Pat his cheek and give him WHAT????? A GREAT...BIG...KISS!!!!" The girls broke out in this sweet primary song when they saw Super J this evening after he had been gone all day on a EQ Temple Trip. I felt the very same way.

A happy home is but an earlier heaven. President George Albert Smith asked, ‘Do we want our homes to be happy? If we do, let them be the abiding place of prayer, thanksgiving and gratitude’ (in Conference Report, Apr. 1944, p. 32.)”~Thomas S. Monson, “Precious Children—A Gift from God,” Ensign, Nov 1991, 68

"Mercies and blessings come in different forms--sometimes as hard things. Yet the Lord said, 'Thou shalt thank the Lord thy God in all things' (D&C 59:7). All things means just that: good things, difficult things--not just some things. He has commanded us to be grateful because He knows being grateful will make us happy. This is another evidence of His love."~Bonnie D. Parkin, "Gratitude: A Path to Happiness," Ensign, May 2007, 35

No comments: