Thursday, November 13, 2008

Lucky 13

Others have commented on it, but I just have to add that this Gratitude Challenge has been so fun! I, too, enjoy reading other people's lists and learning all sorts of stuff about the list makers themselves at the same time. It reminds me, yet again, of the truly remarkable people that I know and love. Thank you for participating, my friends and Gentle Readers. You define the word "Awesome." Keep up the good work!

And now for my list:

Today, I am grateful for

1. Bedtime...both the children's and my own. Ohhhhhhh how glorious to have some time with Super J, or the computer, or the tv, or a book, or meditation and prayer without someone needing me to put on yet another episode of Dora the Explorer. And how glorious is it to lay down at night, ready to get as much sleep as I can. It is indeed glorious. :)

2. And while we are on the subject, how I love Dora. Ahhhhh, that sweet Latina explorer has been la Amiga for my three girls...I thought perhaps Miss O was going to be unswayed by her daily escapades with her faithful friend Boots, but I was wrong. She is addicted and currently ENAMOURED with all things Dora. You should see her dance and sing, "I'm the Grumpy Old Troll" and then yell, "Solve my riddle." It makes me laugh and laugh (don't know WHO the Grumpy Old Troll is? Take a look and tell me that you can't see Miss O in that. Btw, she's my only daughter so far to have discovered and bonded with Mr.Grumpy. Figures. (and sorry it's such a bad video segment, but it's all I could find)):



3. I love it when recipes turn out. Today I learned how to cook Italian Sausage Links without under cooking or burning them to a crisp (while STILL under cooking the insides). According to Rachel Ray's recipe for "Sausage with Garlic Lentils", you,
"...place sausages in a small pan and add 1/4-inch water and 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, a little drizzle (note: I just now read teaspoons...I did 2 tablespoons and it turned out fine. In fact, I just poured the extra stuff into the lentils and it was delicious). Bring water to a boil then reduce heat to medium-high. Let the water simmer away 8 minutes or so, then crisp the casings 3-4 minutes more."
Delicious. The lentils turned out good, too, but I changed that recipe around a wee bit based on other readers comments. Anyway. Long story short: this is the first time I've made lentils and I was really happy with how they and the sausage turned out, and I wish you the best of luck if you decide to try them. :)

Until tomorrow!!! "Solve My Riddle." hahahaha. Cracks me up.

Update: I forgot my quote! Here it is...and after the whole recipe thing, I thought it quite appropriate:
I feel a very unusual sensation - if it is not indigestion, I think it must be gratitude. ~Benjamin Disraeli

2 comments:

Katie said...

Solve my riddle - I love it. And thanks for the recipe. I'm going to try it as soon as I'm home!!

Jennifer Lee said...

Miss O and the Grumpy Old Troll are the SAME PERSON. That is too funny.