Sunday, November 30, 2008

30 Days of Blessings!

Man oh man, I wanted this to be a fabulous list, but as I got to thinking about it, I realized that the importance of this whole month has been to learn to recognize my blessings. Not just the ZIP-POW-BANG ones, but the small and simple and everyday gifts that are bestowed upon me so abundantly.

So, with that realization, today I am grateful for:

1. Floss. Yes, after Twilight I got a refill on the bucket of buttery goodness and brought it home and tonight we all enjoyed it whilst watching Frosty the Snowman and some sequel that was decidedly not as good, but it was so great being together. Until I ate that one kernel that decided to lodge itself between my back teeth. UGH! How grateful I am for Glide Floss that gets back in those hard to reach places and gets the job done.

2. Cream of Mushroom Soup, Cream of Chicken Soup and Cream of Celery Soup. I'm grateful for these soups because you can do so much with them. For example: If you mix that with some chicken broth in a saucepan on the stove, add a little All Season Salt to it, a little Dried Parsley with a dash of paprika for some color, and then add a couple of cups of leftover turkey, cut into cubes (or thereabouts), you have a great something to pour over noodles or rice or left over stuffing and voila! Dinner, using leftovers. Yay! On the other hand, if you have a picky eater who won't eat anything but chicken nuggets and you know you are out of them but you end up looking through the freezer anyway, sometimes you get a Thanksgiving Miracle and find a bag (a long lost and forgotten bag) that has enough for dinner for your picky eater. And that, right there, Gentle Reader, is a blessing.

3. The Miracle of Forgiveness. I've alluded to this previously, but I have kinda saved Him for the "last" gratitude spot because truly it is only because of Him that I'm allowed to have faith and hope, for myself and for my family. I'm so grateful to and for my Savior, Jesus Christ. His willingness to sacrifice and atone for my sins and then provide a way that I can repent and be forgiven (while learning how to forgive) is what it is all about. All the blessings that have been listed this entire month would be for naught without Him. I think I was reminded of this today during Primary. We are learning some Christmas songs for an upcoming activity and we are working on "He Sent His Son," and as the children sang, once again the meaning and power and truth of it entered my heart.

So the thought I'm ending with tonight are the lyrics to this song.
How could the Father tell the world of love and tenderness?
He sent his Son, a newborn babe, with peace and holiness.

How could the Father show the world the pathway we should go?
He sent his Son to walk with men on earth that we may know.

How could the Father tell the world of sacrifice, of death?
He sent his Son to die for us and rise with living breath.

What does the Father ask of us?
What do the scriptures say?
Have faith, have hope, live like his Son,
Help others on their way.

What does he ask?
Live like his Son. ~Sally DeFord
Once again, thank you Jennifer, for challenging me to be aware of the blessings around me and thanks to everyone who participated. I hope you had as much fun as I did. :)

1 comment:

Katie said...

Thanks to YOU my friend. This was, above all, a learning experience for me. And I hope it's something that will stick with me. I have to tell you, throughout the day today I kept catching myself saying "oh, I can put that on my gratitude list tonight." :-)