Saturday, November 29, 2008

2 More Days...

Holy smack, this month is almost over! I hope that even though I'm not recording them everyday, I will still look for the blessings that surround me throughout December.

However, I still have 2 days to go and these are the things I am thankful for today:

1. A girls night out. Went and saw Twilight (or, as is written on my calendar: Twight. Ugh. Can I share with you that I didn't even notice that until this afternoon, and it's been on the calendar for WEEKS! Yegads.) and it's a decidedly C+ or B- movie, but you know what made it great? Yes. Seeing it with friends, who could then share the experience and talk about the pros and cons of it, like Jacob's exceedingly white teeth and long (!) and bad hair wig/extensions (?). (NOTE!!! I don't want to spoil this for you if you haven't seen the movie, so feel free to skip to #2 blessing if you don't want to hear this yet. Have you skipped it yet if you want? Okay, good. Moving on. Hmmmm...the hair thing, that was a theme for all the characters in this movie for me, except Bella, who we decided had good hair. Jasper? BAD hair and strangely constipated look. Very odd. Edward? BIG Foofy hair. Sometimes I found him handsome (but not in the way I pictured Edward handsome), other times very angular with lipstick. He looked best when he looked relaxed and happy and just chatting with Bella, instead of in the throws of angst. Other things that I noticed: Carlisle? Very PALE with slicked back hair. Victoria? I noticed in one scene, she had 1 leaf in her hair...I guess to give her that WILD vamp look. lol. Laurent? cool dreads, though I never pictured him that way. Why were all the "bad" guys truly the best looking of the vampires? Hmmmmm.). ANYWAY! So fun to be to spend time with the girls, seeing a movie and then going for ice cream for a post picture chat! And please keep in mind, I had NO CHILDREN WITH ME!

2. Seeing a movie!!! I'm not sure how many people know this (and for sure, my daughters don't), but when I was single, I was a movie buff. Truly. I LOVED LURVED L.O.V.E.D. seeing movies and owning them and watching them and talking about them, and frankly, wasn't all that concerned about the ratings. I used to tell my friends, "Don't rent it, I own it!" But I gradually mended my ways and then when I married, I REALLY changed my viewing habits (rating wise and time spent at the theater and purchasing movies) and then once I started having kids, well...suffice to say, the last movie I saw on the big screen was "Ironman". Can I just say that I was shocked by how much the tickets were and how much the vat of popcorn and beverage was (but, hey, I got the "free" candy--gummy bears--they were offering with the #1 Combo). That being said, how glorious to be able to go to the movies in the theater and have that whole experience. So fun. I look forward to next July when Harry Potter comes out. :)

3. Super J as THE P.O.D.(Parent On Duty): I hope this doesn't count as a repeat, but I just have to express my gratitude that all of this was made possible because Super J was willing skip seeing the movie and stay home with all four girls. I believe this might be the longest I've been away from the baby (5-ish hours, and she was already sleeping when I got home, so we're going on 6 hours of no baby/no nursing. I'll have to wake her up before I go to sleep, but I digress), but I had total peace of mind knowing they were all in such good and capable hands. When Super J and I were first married and I was still working, I was talking to some friends (who just happened to have been my bishop and his wife when I was still single) how Super J and I traded off care taking duties, and that Super J would babysit while I was at work. My past bishop was like, "Babysit? Isn't he the father?" I was taken aback! "Well, yes, he is!" "Well then," he said, "he's not babysitting. He's raising your daughter." And that's so true. I have never forgotten that exchange. Super J is an awesome dad, and he's amazing at raising our daughters. And it's nice to know that because it makes it easier to take a little time "off" for myself, which then helps ME be a better parent. And I'm super grateful for that.

We should certainly count our blessings, but we should also make our blessings count. ~Neil A. Maxwell

Unless we make Christmas an occasion to share our blessings, all the snow in Alaska won't make it "white". ~Bing Crosby

No comments: