Friday, August 22, 2008

My Funny Valentine

Nothing says I love you to a wife like an appliance for her kitchen, right? Yeah, well...however you feel about that, it does show some thought on the giver's part. Shortly after we had first moved into our house 18 months ago, Super J gifted me an electric touchless garbage can for my Valentine's Day Present. This little wonder, which became a favorite gadget for all involved, especially visitors to our home, worked like a Jedi Mind Trick. You'd wave your hand in front of the sensor and the lid would automatically open and then after a few seconds, close by itself. Once you got used to it, it was actually kinda nice.

Unfortunately, Miss O decided that this was one fabulous thing, especially the button on the back that she could flip back and forth and back and forth and back and forth...you get the picture, Gentle Reader. In efforts to discourage her, we moved the garbage can and we turned it off permanently. For the past several months, we have just been manually lifting the lid which, though not as cool, has been fine.

Until yesterday (cue sinister music).

"Someone" broke the lid on the garbage can, so that it now only has one hinge keeping it on. It is very sadly, obviously and unfixably broken. Alas, we all know who the culprit is (as I'm sure you do, too, *COUGH* Miss O *COUGH*), but I do believe she was on an errand from me (or one that she has taken upon herself) to throw away Miss Q's tiny tiny used diapers whenever she finds them (and yesterday, she had MANY MANY dirty diapers. Yay!!!! Way to figure out the poop thing, Miss Q!!!! It only took 15 days, bless your heart). Newborn diapers are really quite small ("Oh yeah" moment #23), especially when you have them "wrapped" to go into the garbage. So, if Miss O finds a diaper that I have forgotten to pitch, she says, "Ohhhhhhh Momma. Stinky pants," and then carries them away to the kitchen garbage, regardless of what floor she is actually on. She says this phrase to me whether they are stinky or not, btw, and I actually do appreciate this little helper because for a few days there, I was constantly NOT getting them to the garbage on my own.

So, although I am BUMMED about my garbage can being broke, I know it was done accidentally, with the best of intentions, as a manifestation of love and caring by our littlest mobile helper. Literally a gift that keeps on giving, bless her heart.

No comments: