Thursday, May 22, 2008

And more random musings

1. David Cook won American Idol. Yay. Good for him. I think David A. will be just fine and maybe a little better without all that pressure to be an A.I. winner. David C. is a little more mature. Super J said that he thought it was much better for David A. because he is, after all, 17 and can now do all sorts of things with his life besides being bound to a recording contract. He's probably right.

2. Miss O did not nap yesterday (remember?). Last night, I put her to bed at 8:30pm (she normally goes down around 9:30-10:00), but not before giving all the girls a little medicine because they all have been coughing up phlegm. ugh.

Guess what.

She got up this morning at 10:50am (Miss A got up at 7:00ish, which for her is late, but she came and got in bed with us and then started to snuggle with me (????) and kept talking to new baby, so I've been up since 7:00, too). I sincerely tried waking her up earlier. I even opened up her window blinds, which makes her room incredibly bright. But she was ZONKED OUT. Guess who is not napping again today? Oh yeah. Guess who's going to be a bright shiny star at Miss A's graduation tonight? Oh yeah. (answer: probably me. lolol. For both questions! lol.)

3. FINALLY! "Texas seizure of polygamist-sect kids thrown out"

"A Texas appeals court said Thursday that the state had no right to take more than 400 children from a polygamist sect's ranch, a ruling that could unravel one of the biggest child-custody cases in U.S. history.

The Third Court of Appeals in Austin ruled that the state offered "legally and factually insufficient" grounds for the "extreme" measure of removing all children from the ranch, from babies to teenagers."

This may not be enough to get the kids home (or only a small portion of it), but at least some authority has noticed. I am amazed at how little coverage it is getting, though, by the MSM. So frustrating.

More can be found HERE

4. Last night, I had trouble falling asleep. While waiting for Super J to watch A.I., I was sneaking in a bit of a chick flick and was watching a segment of the new version of Masterpiece Theatre's "Sense and Sensibility" (so beautiful! Love it) and saw the part where Marianne is talking to Elinor after she's recovered from her whole humiliation and terrible fever experience. They are speaking of the whole Willoughby fiasco and Elinor says to Marianne, "Surely you don't compare your behavior to his?" And Marianne replies, "No, I compare it to what it should have been. I compare it to yours." (that's the basic feel of the quote, though I doubt it's exact).

Boy, that got me thinking of recent events in my life where I smugly feel self-righteous about one thing or another, and then something happens where I realize how puny and insignificant I am and that I could of and SHOULD have behaved better. Been the better person.

Just ONE sad Example from only this past week (ohhhhhh, how many there have been in just this week!!!!): I was in Walmart with all three girls, prepping for Miss E's Astronaut Party. We witnessed a mom talking really mean to her kids about something goofy and trivial and I kind of "tsk, tsk'd" in my head. Well, after paying for our stuff, we head out to the car. I'm loading in bags, realizing that we'd been at Walmart for 2 hours (yegads!) and I'm tired and grumpy and I look in and Miss A is clearly not letting Miss E into the car, much less getting into her own seat and getting buckled, as instructed. So, what do *I* do? I say, "Miss A (including her middle name) Peters, what in the holy crap is that all about? Get to your seat and get buckled!" I did say crap, nothing more serious, but in that same tone we'd just heard. And guess what? Yep. Some lady was walking behind me when I said it. UGH! What goes around, comes around, I tell ya.

5. I got a call from a nurse from my insurance company. Turns out that I'd signed up for some pregnancy thing, where a nurse calls periodically to check in on you and see how you are doing. I feel a wee bit sheepish doing this, because this is my 4 and hopefully last baby. But, it was nice chatting with her. She's sending me a DVD called "Happiest Baby on the Block," which I'm excited about and she gave me some great websites. One is called Obstetrix.com and it has a section for telling your kids about pregnancy and stuff, and even has these little "cartoon" segments explaining the joys of pregnancy. So, I let Miss A watch them.

Oh dear.

She now can inform you that Super J has "sperm cells" that have secret instructions on whether the new baby will be a boy or girl (depending on whether they carry a "Y" or an "X"). I have "ovary cells," or something like that. She got to "see" how a baby grows and how the uterus contracts for the baby to come out and that we all used to have "M-bilical cords" attached to our belly buttons to feed us and give us oxygen. Good times. If you ever want to know more, just ask her. She is MORE than happy to share this new information.

6. We got a call from our house painter. Turns out that tomorrow they are coming to power wash the house and will start painting next Tuesday. That's great, except we have yet to pick a color for our house. YEGADS! Super J went to get some color swatch thingies and all, because we have to pick our color and then get it approved by the HOA of our neighborhood. Of course, I'm sleeping with the President of the HOA, so you'd think this wouldn't be a problem (ummmm...FYI: Super J *is* the Pres of the HOA, in case you didn't know), but we still need to go through the proper channels, so to speak. Nothing like making a big decision on the fly.

7. The In-laws may be coming to Miss A's graduation tonight. Will keep you posted.

8. I feel so tired. Definitely missed my nap. Will not miss this part of pregnancy. I will be an awesome mom in about...16 months. lol.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Oh, so many things to comment on. You, my dear, make me laugh like no other. How was graduation? Are we going to get pictures? You are not self-righteous, you are human. BTW, you got the quote almost perfect - at least the "I compare it to what it ought to have been. I compare it to yours." Did you see the new Masterpiece Theater Persuasion? I had a friend over to watch it the other night and when Captain Wentworth made his first appearance, she said on the couch swearing over how good looking he was. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.
You ROCK!!