Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Last Nights Dinner for Us Could Be A Dinner Idea for You

True confessions, Gentle Reader. Sometimes, depending on when I ate lunch or even if I've had a large drink of water, I'm just not hungry for dinner when most people are eating. This is NOT me dieting, because trust me: I will be eating at some point. I just don't want to eat anything at dinnertime. You can only imagine what this does to my poor family because my sense of hunger is directly linked to my creativity in the kitchen.

Last night, I was not hungry, but I was determined to feed my family something edible for their meal. One blog that I like to visit is Food, Friends and Fun (this should appear as a link, but it's not...unless you scroll over it. Sorry). Thanks to them, my family (and later myself) had a really nice, white sauce Chicken Enchilada. It was totally easy to make, especially considering that I used two cans of Costco Canned Chicken from the good ol' year supply! I didn't have green chili's, but I did have some cilantro that I put on top of the chicken mixture before I rolled the flour tortillas, and I threw in a few seasonings so it didn't' seem quite so tame, but was still relatively mild. HUGE hit with the kids and Superman J. Yay!

And here it is for you!

Chicken Enchilada's (this is the direct link to this recipe and some nice pictures of how they turn out)

INGREDIENTS
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast meat
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
6 (12 inch) flour tortillas
1/4 cup milk

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Lightly grease a large baking dish.
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and saute the green onion until tender (about 3 to 4 minutes). Add the garlic powder, then stir in the green chilies, cream of mushroom soup and sour cream. Mix well. Reserve 3/4 of this sauce and set aside.

To the remaining 1/4 of the sauce in the saucepan, add the chicken and 1/2 cup of shredded Cheddar cheese. Stir together.Fill each flour tortilla with the chicken mixture and roll up. Place seam side down in the prepared baking dish.

In a small bowl (or the saucepan you just emptied) combine the reserved 3/4 of the sauce with the milk. Spoon this mixture over the rolled tortillas and top with the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded Cheddar cheese.

Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.
* I only cooked them for 25 minutes. (and so did I, and they turned out just great)

Enjoy!

No comments: