Chicken Tortilla Soup V (from allrecipes.com) with Laurenda's extra comments
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (I just use 2 cans of Kirkland Chicken Breasts (undrained)...very easy)
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil (I keep this pretty much the same)
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic (I use 2-3 cloves of minced garlic)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin (I used 1/2 teaspoon because we LOVE the cumin)
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth (I use 3 cans)
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels (I just use an undrained can of corn)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup chunky salsa (or more depending on taste and how spicy you like it. We use a mild one)
- 8 ounces corn tortilla chips
- 1/2 cup shredded Monetery Jack cheese (optional)
- I add cilantro to the top when I serve and we sometimes serve over rice
In a large pot over medium heat, saute the chicken in the oil for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cumin and mix well. Then add the broth, corn, onion, chili powder, lemon juice and salsa. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes.
Break up some tortilla chips into individual bowls and pour soup over chips (or spoon rice into bowls and pour soup over). Top with the Monterey Jack cheese and a little sour cream (and we love to add cilantro).