Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The Verdict: Crockpot Lasagna

Okay, here's what I thought about the crockpot lasagna: it was definitely FINE. Overall, to me, it seemed a bit tasteless, but at the same time, it wasn't bad.

Super J and Miss E thought it was really good (I asked Super J on a scale of 1-10 what he thought and he said, 7). The cheese on top was nice and melty, and the noodles were great (Misses O and Q actually ate the noodles...the rest of the insides, not so much).  I thought it was good, but I was hoping for out and out delicious. I DO think I want to try it again because I think I might be able to do better.

Here are some things that I'll try next time: hamburger meat or Italian sausage vs turkey; Ragu spaghetti sauce--personally, it just holds it's flavor better; ricotta mixed with cottage cheese (I like cottage cheese in it, though, so I'd try it again with cottage cheese, too; also, I only had cottage cheese, so I don't how ricotta would effect it one way or another); a bit more Italian Seasoning or Basil or something more.

Oh! Speaking of which, here's a biggie: if I had actually remembered to put in minced garlic in it. Hmmmmmmm. Now that I think about it, that could have made a big difference.

Also a bit discouraging, the edges got a bit scorched on the bottom (closest to the crockpot walls), which didn't really effect the taste too much, but totally effected the appearance, so the girls were like, ewwwwww.

So, I think I would definitely stop it at 4 hours instead of 4.5 and take it out of the holder instead of letting it set for 10 more minutes on "off" inside the crock-thingy while the cheese melts on the top.  Of course, maybe my crockpot runs a bit "hot" but yours, Gentle Reader, would be fine at 4.5 hours.  I'm interested in trying it "cold" and tomorrow, now that my expectations are different.

Verdict: I will make it again and see how I like it. Admittedly, the house smelled great and it set up really well (though getting the first few pieces out was rough).

ALSO: I won't give in to the temptation to get the cheap Price Chopper Garlic Bread, which I did today. Though lovely as a time saver, it is such yucky bread!!!! I should have made bread sticks.

No comments: