Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Yesterday and Today

Oops, looks like I missed one. Oh well. I was well aware of my many blessings yesterday, so I'm sorry I didn't get them down, and today...well, you'll see.

Have a great day!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yesterday I was so blessed with:

1. Being able to go and work out! It seems like forever since I was able to go to the YMCA, but it felt wonderful to be back.

2. A free portion of hairspray! I stopped by the Walmart "salon" and picked up a refill bottle for my Finishing Spritz and as I was paying for it, the beautician told me about a bottle that someone had dropped, thereby cracking the lid and left it there to spill out without paying for it. So she asked me if I wanted the rest because she couldn't sell it. Yes, says I. So she gave me a bottle that was probably 3/4th the way filled. I was overwhelmed with her generosity and she said I didn't have to pay for it. How nice is that????

3. Family Home Evening. It's a bit of crazy around here every Monday, but I'm so glad the girls love it and ask for to do it, and happily participate (for the most part).

Meanwhile...

Today, the day is barely half over and I feel that my cup is running over.

1. A car that runs. This morning, my car would not start. Super J was making some repairs last night and we both forgot to take the keys out and they were left in that "you can listen to the radio with the engine off" position--do you know what I mean?--and the battery got completely drained. However, that was discovered AFTER I had all the carpool kids and the baby loaded up in the Red Rocket, ready to go to school...but the car wouldn't start. EEEKS! Panic panic panic. The good news? It's now running.

2. So. Grateful. For. Good. Neighbors. My next door neighbor happened to be home and tried to jump start my car (which was the problem, btw, but let's just say that my neighbor and I would have failed Car Battery Jumping 101 because I incorrectly grounded the negative side, so the car got no juice. Sigh.) and then totally helpfully and willingly took all four kids to the school for me. How nice is THAT! Oh, and he does have a daughter...who is 9 months old. Sheesh! But he had just dropped her off to day care and was coming home to work on a project. I felt so blessed that he was there. AND, just as we had my neighbors car loaded up, two other neighbors appeared--one of which was my fellow carpool parent! So, even if I hadn't had help in the moment (which I did), help was on its way. So. BLESSED!

3. I'm so thankful for my husband's knowledge and expertise in Car Battery Jumping 101. Obviously, he passed the course. He came home to assess the situation and checked a few things, discovered the key error, and correctly jump started the car. All in about 10 minutes. Crazy wonderful. It took so much stress off of me because I didn't have to worry about picking up Miss O from preschool an hour later, or Miss E from kindergarten a half hour after that, or the rest of the carpool gang later in the afternoon. Instead, I just drove the Red Rocket around to recharge the battery and we are now good to go.

And an extra one just because:

4. Miss Q was awesome the whole time this was going on. Now talk about a blessing.

We failed, but in the good providence of God, apparent failure often proves a blessing. ~Robert E. Lee

"Will prayers that do not demand much of your thought merit much attention from our Heavenly Father? When you find yourself getting into a routine with your prayers, step back and think. Meditate for a while on the things for which you really are grateful. Look for them. They don't have to be grand or glorious. Sometimes we should express our gratitude for the small and simple things like the scent of the rain, the taste of your favorite food, or the sound of a loved one's voice. Thinking of things we are grateful for is a healing balm. It helps us get outside ourselves. It changes our focus from our pains and our trials to the abundance of this beautiful world we live in." ~Joseph B. Wirthlin, "Improving Our Prayers," Liahona, Aug. 2004, 18

No comments: