Wednesday, February 4, 2009

No Losers!

Okay, I've been hearing from people that they are already failing at this walking thing or that they are losers because they haven't been able to walk this week or last week or whatever.

Friends, Gentle Readers, Peeps. YOU. ARE. NOT. LOSERS!

Do we all remember that we started with 10 minutes last week? Anyone? We aren't going for speed. We aren't going for distance. We are going for going. We are working to etch out a wee bit of time for ourselves, to do this FOR OURSELVES. We are doing this so that next year, we'll still be talking about our NEXT fitness goal, having accomplished a couple in between.

I didn't expect us to all of a sudden be able to be fitness gurus and hold our own classes. Heck, I myself wanted to join a gym. But here's the problem. We've joined the YMCA...twice. But because it is heck trying to get all the kids there and me and excuses and excuses and excuses, Super J won't let me join the gym until I prove to myself that I can be and will be consistent. Not to be mean, but because we can't really afford to just throw that money to the wind, you know? And experience (doubled) has already illustrated that I'm not there yet.

However.

This morning I was on the phone with my friend while Miss Q was sleeping and I realized...YIKES! Miss Q will wake up before long and I haven't walked. I didn't want to get off the phone and the treadmill is so loud the other person can't hear. So I started walking around the room I was in. And then down the hall and then I looped back and did that the entire time I was on the phone...so I actually got my 15 minute walk in and, of course, Miss Q woke up at the end.

Remember, it's just to start the habit of moving. So, do a work out tape (for 15 minutes) or walk in circles in your abode (for 15 minutes). Or walk the office. Or the mall. Or Wal-Mart! It's not for speed (yet); it's not for distance (yet).

It's for doing.

Take the time. Make the time. You are worth it.

1 comment:

Katie said...

That shows great dedication!! I, too, have fallen into the "trap" of gym membership. I buy my membership with the best of intentions, but then I end up never going - usually because I work out best in the morning, and I don't want to lug all of my clothes and shower accessories to the gym AND there's no really good private shower and changing area... I know, excuses, excuses. I have worked out each day this week, though! I will do this!!