Thursday, October 16, 2008

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back...

There are some highs and lows happening here around The Zoo:

First, Super J and I are working hard to keep the house (ahem, the main level. Let's not get too crazy here) neat and tidy. So far (um...4 days of it), so good.

Secondly, Super J is keeping Mount Doom (aka: Mountain of Laundry) from reaching it's critical mass point by not only folding but putting it away! Thanks, Sweetie!

That's two steps forward, I do believe, so I basically got the title of this blog entry a bit wrong. Darn that new math!

That being said, we do have a couple of missteps happening simultaneously with all these happy things:

Miss O...bless her sweet little heart!...seems to have redeveloped the need to attach herself to my leg (think tree hugging) whenever someone she does not know approaches. YEGADS! It started Sunday at Miss Q's baby blessing (and those of you who were there can attest to it), and it continues these five days later. Tonight, we fed the missionaries and initially, she could hardly be in the same room with them. Very hard to manage both a clingy toddler AND a nursing infant. My favorite is when I've got Miss Q in her car seat thingy (which not only weighs a ton but is very cumbersome to get around things!) and I'm carrying something else in my hands and Miss O DEMANDS I hold her hand before she will go ANYWHERE and detach herself from my leg. Sigh.

AND! Miss E...has started wetting the bed at night. Hmmmmm. When asked about it, she says that she's afraid to go to the bathroom at night, but she says it grinning and laughing. It's hard to believe that she's that terrified if she's telling it like a joke. Anyway, she's wearing bedtime pull-ups for a while until we get a better handle on this situation. My feelings are that she is so tired out by the days activities (and that she drinks half her bath water before bed!) that she is in a deep sleep and doesn't wake herself up.

I have much sympathy for this, as I remember an event like this from my own childhood. I was maybe four, and it had such an impact on me that I can still remember it...I was dreaming I was in the jungle and in my dream I had to use the bathroom, BAD, so I kept asking where to go and was shown the bathroom "hut," but there was no toilet so I just peed on the "floor". In reality, I actually wet my bed, and got into some trouble for that.

SO! I'm trying to be loving and compassionate with Miss E as we work through this situation. Alas, as you can tell by the above story, she comes from a long line of bed pee-ers (on both sides of the family, truth be told).

Still there are worse problems, so I'm not really grousing. I'm just recording for posterity. One day, Miss O will be complaining when one of my beloved future grandchildren will be a Cling-On (get it??? hahahahha. I'm such a nerd!), and I'll tell her that she truly comes by it naturally.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Miss E's probably just adjusting to so many changes in the house. It's amazing kids adjust as well as they do. :-)