Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Murphy's Law?

Yeah, so a couple of posts ago, I mentioned that Super J and I are working to keep the house tidy, right? Well, our go-get'em attitude lasted probably one more day after I had written that. Sigh.

But the good news is that my brother came into town yesterday for just a quick overnight visit (he does motivational educational professional development seminars for teachers, etc., so if your school needs someone like that, I can highly recommend my brother), and it's always good to see him for a myriad of reasons, but one is that it helps me refocus on tidying (you'd think I was obsessed with cleanliness, but anyone who comes to my house would know that that is simply not true. Still. Progress must be made every day else "The Blob" starts to overtake everything and that's just not pretty).

Okay, so now we know my brother was back in town and last night, he told us he probably needed to be on the road around 6:30ish a.m. or so. Not a problem, we assured him. Miss A gets up at the proverbial butt crack of dawn or Miss O, who has indeed been waking up at unnatural hours, would be up. And if they are up, one of us is up, too. So, don't worry. We'll be up. Not to worry.

Uh huh.

This of course means that this morning, around 6:50, I wake up, hearing this incessant beeping. What the heck???? The main hallway's light is on and I think, well, Super J will take care of it, until I look over and Super J is still sound asleep (how can men sleep through all this stuff, I ask you? But that's a post for another time), happily lightly snoring.

I realize that my brother is trying to turn off the house alarm, but we'd never given him a proper tutorial...only the code.

*beep*beep*beep*beep* (silence)
*beep*beep*beep*beep* (silence)
*beep*beep*beep*beep* (silence)
*beep*beep*beep*beep* (silence)

I wake up Super J and he goes to aid the brother.

*beep*beep*beep*beep* ("Unarmed! Ready to Arm!") some chuckling. "Bye!"

It's so funny because, OF COURSE, after all the assurances that we'd be up and at 'em, the only one up in the house was my brother! lol. Everyone was still zonked out. Miss Q and I were totally out, having been up at some point during the 2, 3, and 4 o'clock hours (and 5 o'clock hour for that matter. Note to self: though it seems glorious at the time, it is NOT wise to let the infant nap so well and so often during the day as it means she will NOT sleep well during the night and will, alas, be stricken with unfortunate painful gas that she has not expelled during the day).

Yeah, so keep in mind when you come to visit to set the alarm clock that's in the guest bedroom. It appears that it's more necessary than one (ahem, than I) thought it might be.

(it makes me laugh, though, thinking about my brother trying to be a good sport and not wake us up, just punching in the code and hitting all these buttons. *beep*beep*beep*beep* (silence). teehee).

1 comment:

Katie said...

I have learned to never say "I always..." When I was in college, I told a guy that I was always up until at least midnight. Wouldn't you know it, that night I was sick, took some cold medicine and was out by 9:30. Who called at 11:00? Yup, you guessed it!