Wednesday, September 3, 2008

So Dang Tired

Here are some reasons I'm tired...

*Miss Q...This one is a no-brainer. I think she is on a 72 hour cycle, and thus, WE are on a 72 hour cycle. Some days she sleeps VERY SOUNDLY in the morning, some days in the afternoon and some nights in the...well...night. When she sleep at night, she still gets up once, but goes back to sleep with minimum of crying and time-spent awake, so I wake up and I feel pretty good (all things considered). Other than that, I'm admittedly pretty sleep deprived. I'm not getting stuff done that I want to accomplish and I sure as heck say the dumbest stuff. In the category of not getting stuff done: On Labor Day, I wanted to post my Labor story, because wouldn't that be an appropriate entry for a day focused on labor? But that would not be because Miss Q and I had a BAD night and instead, I went around in basically a trance. Today, we cycled a good night, so I actually feel pretty good though I'm now dealing with crying baby this afternoon, so I still feel tired. Yep. You forget about this sleep deprivation stuff. I mean, you remember it because that's part of newborn mythology, but you FORGET also what it feels like.

*Fetch, with Ruff Ruffman (PBS). In a sure sign that she is getting past the "Dora the Explorer" phase, Miss A has discovered and has watched no less than 5 times per the three episodes we have, this program. It's an educational "reality" tv game show kind of thing (I do believe it replaced good ol' "Zoom" for those of you who may remember that from back in the day). I don't mind her watching the show, but she's figured out how to work the DVR and it's remote, so she'll watch the episode and before you can say, "Let's watch the political conventions" she'll have started in on the SAME episode she just completed because, after all, it's her FAVORITE. In the meantime, she has me basically counting down the minutes until a new episode comes on. Good times.

*Diapers. I am constantly changing pants, size "Newborn" (so tiny) and size 5's (not so tiny). I recognize that I am adding to the landfill, etc. but let me just say that I'm glad I'm not doing clothe diapers. It's all I can do to maintain sanity and sanitation to use the handy dandy disposables. Please don't judge. I don't know what Miss O is eating (that's a boldface lie. I know exactly what she's eating: Maybe half a Eggo waffle in the mornings, as many "Chewy Fruit Snacks" as she can get out of the Snack Box without being caught, Chicken Dinosaurs (often for lunch and dinner), Goldfish Crackers, maybe on a good day some Mac and Cheese, and, periodically, some Zucchini Brownie (at least, this week). I'm counting the zucchini as my child eating vegetables. This is part of the "non-failure to parent" argument I am constantly fighting with myself because I was convinced that AFTER I had the baby, I'd be able to get it together rather quickly. Ha. Hahahahhahahahahhaha. Ahem. And the chewy fruit snacks have "some" fruit in them...right? So, even though my kids are watching about 900 hours per day of television, at least they are getting some brain development from their food, right????? RIGHT????)

*My house. Oh, and Laundry. With the addition of Miss Q, things have exponentially spiraled out of control. When things do get cleaned, washed, folded or put away, it is only a matter of seconds before somewhere else in the house, the Chaos theory comes into play and manifests itself. And let's not even talk about the basement and the dead carcases of crickets that are there. Ewww. And you know what. I don't really care. I mean, I do care and I'll want to probably vacuum if you want to come visit, but that's pretty much all I'm going to do, just fyi. Though I might clean the toilet in the guest bathroom, because that's just the type of friend I am.

*The politics!!! OHHHHHHHH the politics. I'm still excited about Sarah Palin. I'm REAL tired of the mud being slung at her, though. I realize politics is a "contact sport," or so I've heard over and over the past few days, but holy SMACK, Gentle Reader. No wonder we have so many less than stellar people with questionable morals (not everyone, just many many) in politics. Because if you are a decent person, do you REALLY want to be putting yourself through that???? Answer: heck no. So, good luck to anyone running. I'm sure, putting party platforms aside, that there are some really really nice people out there trying to make a difference.

Mercy me, the list could go on and on. I'm tired because I miss things and I'm off my routine, such as it was. I miss blogging on a regular basis. It really is a fun way for me to vent and record stuff. I miss being able to read and comment on my friends blogs. It's a really fun way for me to vent and record stuff. :) I miss being pregnant and saying that my stomach was taunt and tight, because now it is flabby and flobby and UNSIGHTLY. I miss my breasts, which are things of fascination for Miss E (who, let's face it, was too young to notice anything when Miss O was a baby, but she is AMAZED that these things are actually feeding the baby! I get questions EVERY DAY about them and the process), and which are admittedly doing a fine job of supplying sustenance to Miss Q, but Holy Smack, Gentle Reader! They are NOT remembering their former firmer glory days, and they still hurt and I feel like I am constantly nursing because I AM!!!! Yes. I feel I've been put out into pasture. MOOOOOOOOOOOO. I love to nurse, but when I'm tired and when they are still tender...oh well. I still love to nurse. It's just part of my list for why I'm tired, I suppose.

Well, since my children are literally crawling at my feet (some game they've invented since the Olympics...darn those races!), I guess "my" time is over for the day. Get some rest, Gentle Reader. It'll help for me to think someone is getting some sleep when I'm up at 2:00 in the morning.

3 comments:

Adrienne said...

Oh my holy cow, sweet L. I am laughing and commiserating. This too, shall pass. And your dead crickets can come hang out with all the spiders and dead pill bugs in MY basement. Oh we love the honesty. Miss E said to me on Sunday with all the earnestness in the world, "WE NEED TO HAVE A PLAYDATE". Um, I think YOU need Miss E to have a playdate. :) Send er over anytime! Or send over all of em. And your child is EATING. And it's not doggie food. No guilt needed.

Katie said...

Oh, my poor, tired friend. I am laughing and again thinking "wow, I could never do that." I wish I were there to help out!

What's up with the Walkers! said...

Wow, you are truly my inspiration! No really, we had one of those days, no sleep, which leads to no patience the next day and a two year old who figures that out fast and takes advantage of you lack of patience. Just when I think I can't function any longer or Ashlyn will not make it to see tomorrow, I read your blog and am yet inspired once more that if you can do it, and even laundry on top of all that, then I have not complaints and will survive yet another day and just keep praying for a little more sleep every night before I go to bed.....