Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Still here, but hopefully the ants won't be

We are still having ant issues. I'm happy to say, the bug spray guy is coming between now and 11:00. So of course, in an effort to show that I can clean a house, I've been working on it. Luckily, Super J has been on kitchen duty for the past several days and the kitchen is in pretty good shape and all I had to do was load up some dishes and wipe down everything.

The ants seem to be coming from the light switch outlet thingy (man, those years as an electrician are sure paying off, eh? Hardeeharhar) right by the sink. Super J was telling me about how ants gather food: random ants meander to various places and if the ants find food, they then take it back to the nest, leaving a trail of some enzyme and as more and more ants follow the trail back and forth, it gets stronger and you have...well...more and more ants. Regardless of how smart/ingenious that is, I don't want them in my house. I'm too grumpy for them to be in my house. And so, they must die. It probably will be more "humane" for them to get it with bug spray than to be killed "Death by Index Finger" which is how I've been hunting down the ones that I see. Or maybe not. All I know is that this particular batch of ants are FAST. I mean, FAST and they don't necessarily run from the Index Finger in a straight line...kinda like they know they are about to be squished. Creepy. Hopefully the bug guy will take care of this problem, once and for all.

Here's some randomness to share:

Baby Update: I've been having random contractions (and yes, they do feel different from yesterday's...kinda, because they are stronger and some are in my back), but when I move some of them knock off. Thus, nothing consistent. Just good to know things are a'happening. It makes me crabby, though. tmi: it's like having really bad menstrual cramps right now.

Word Usage Update: So, above I have the word "regardless". Initially I had written the word, "Irregardless" and then I thought it looked funny and so I went to an online dictionary and found this. Let's all have an educational moment, shall we?

usage Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

And now we know.

No comments: