Wednesday, July 23, 2008

"School" supplies

Back in April, we attended Kindergarten Roundup for Miss A. They gave us many many forms to fill out (which brings to mind that we still need to turn in her now complete medical forms) and lists of things for school. In my heart, I was like, "Ah ha! Here will be a priceless treasure of time and memory where I will go with Miss A, and we will collect all these precious things for Kindergarten. We will lovingly select all the appropriate crayolas and markers and papers and...stuff."

But at some point during May, when I was going through her folder and found the PTA offering to buy all the stuff for the kindergartners (and remembered the teachers' almost frantic pleading that we allow the PTA to buy the desired listed items because then they [the teachers] would actually get stuff that they prefer to use), the unrealistic dream of blissful shopping with Miss A turn to realism and the fact that we'd be getting a killer deal for $25 as well as saving oodles of time. So, we turned in the form and a check and viola, we were done with shopping.

Until today.

I don't know if you know this, but at Wal-mart, they have fabulous crazy deals right now on school supplies. So, I decided with my three sweet Misses in tow, to just do some memorable school supply shopping for stuff that I know we'll want and will use at home! You can never have too much construction paper and crayons and markers and glue sticks and...a protractor? And opened glue???? And...Nut and Honey Flavored Sunflower Seeds???? What the heck? Ohhhhh, Miss O must have been doing a Mad Grab for things when I wasn't looking. Grrrrrrrrrr (happily, I caught the Nut and Honey Flavored Sunflower Seeds before I actually paid for them)

Then, in a fit of COMPLETELY MENTAL REASONING (and please read that using a very chic British accent to thus define "mental" as meaning "completely and utterly crazed") , I thought I'll just go through all the stuff at home and get organized (hahahahahahahahahahahaahhaha!) so the girls can do all sorts of projects at home, especially when New Baby gets here. Again, I seem to be hearing laughter. Let's ask how much organizing I have done now that I have all this great stuff in my house, out of my car. Answer: None. Let's ask how much organizing I WANT to do now that I have all this great stuff in my house, out of my car. Answer (truthfully?): None. It's all still sitting in its bags. And let's ask how many "fun" art projects I've actually sat down and done with the girls during this pregnancy. Answer: Um...none? Super J let them fingerpaint once...but that doesn't really count for me, though, does it...(does it???). And yet, I'm thinking that will *magically* change once I give birth??????? Really?????? Yep. I am definitely hearing laughter somewhere.

Anyway, back to the Wal-mart adventure. In addition to all this, we did a small amount of grocery shopping which seemed to entail spending a great deal of time in the frozen food section (ugh...I say this because when I came home and had to shift most of the contents of the freezer to make room for these frozen foods, I broke a nail at the quik. Tarnation! I hates me that!) looking for veggie burgers. Do people no longer eat veggie burgers??? I thought I might be able to trick Miss E into enjoying one (and thus, enjoying some veggies), but alas! I couldn't even locate them. Oh well.

I also got the last of my stuff for New Baby...some new sheets for the bassinet (where on earth did the others go??? NO.CLUE. Especially since I've loaned the thing out twice since Miss O was born) and a new folding changing pad which Miss O has decided is PERFECT for carrying around and climbing upon. So now I feel good about checking all that off my list of things needed to do/get before New Baby's arrival. Things in that sense are coming together and it's actually a relief.

So, school supply shopping wasn't quite what I envisioned, but maybe we can have a nice Mom/Daughter afternoon one day and go get some new outfits. :)

1 comment:

Katie said...

I'm afraid, my dear, that the laughter you were hearing was mine. Not because what you said was necessarily ridiculous - but so familiar. We are friends, my friend.