Thursday, July 17, 2008

I Can See Clearly Now the Rain is Gone...

Gosh, I love that song. Huuuuummmmmming along in my head.

Anyway. I'm totally whipped right now; as in, wooowheee, I'm tuckered out! I took the girls to their Aunt D (who's an optometrist) to get their eyes checked. They did AMAZING! They were well behaved and didn't touch things, they weren't obnoxious to Aunt D or me, they took turns and they were actually QUIET! It was a bit surreal how great they were. I was very proud indeed.

After lunch with Aunt D (we treated...I figured it was only fair as she didn't charge for the exams. She's a good aunt!) because they were so good, I decided to stop and let them pick the replacement things to replenish our "snack box" (a box in the pantry closet that holds "snacks" [read: sugared treats] that the older girls can select from when Miss O and I are napping in the afternoon. Miss O often gets a choice from the "snack box" when her older sisters have gone to bed for the night, and she's still up because she goes to sleep at least an hour after they do...though I do monitor her choices a bit more stringently because no one needs all that sugar before bed, least of all a 2 year old!). So, we stopped at Aldi's for some snacks and some milk. And some sour cream. And some cottage cheese.

And clearly, all sorts of other things. About an hour and a half later, we finally arrive at home. I counted and I realized that I touched all the things I bought at least 4 times. Once to put it in the cart, once to take it out of the cart and put it on the checkout conveyor belt, once to bag it and once to empty it out. Some things I know I touched several times because my "helpers" often like to pick things up or, in Miss O's case, dump them out of the cart (or threaten to). It was a long ordeal. And very very hot. I think today has been the hottest day of summer so far, and I seriously was dripping sweat from my eyebrows. Pretty!

Needless to say, poor New Baby has been in a stir all afternoon, my back is killing me, my upper stomach feels like it's being ripped in half and, well, overall my pregnant body has been...unhappy...with what I put it through. I'm very tired.

So, I decided that we'd have a simple dinner. In fact, we'd have breakfast for dinner, because how simple would that be? In theory, yes. Very simple. In actual reality...I guess I just have that gift for making the simple into the complex.

Here was the breakdown of the menu:

Order Up!!! (seriously, looking back at this, it's something you might order at IHOP)

Eggs...but we have two who prefer scrambled and one who prefers egg whites (I'm so serious) and me, who prefers fried eggs. Oh, and one who won't touch them but will, we find out, push them around her plate and douse them with ketchup and then proceed to paint the table with the mixture. ...Hmmm...who could that be???

English Muffins...pretty standard

Sausage Patties...the least of my worries, as they are "fully cooked" fat laden (but delicious) things that you just have to nuke. But in my case, I nuked them too early and had to reheat them.

Hash Browns...here's where I should have skipped, but I bought them today just for a breakfast dinner. I haven't ever really made hash browns from the frozen potato stage and while not complex, it does take a little bit of monitoring else you start to BURN THE BOTTOMS of the potatoes. Yegads! Not the flavor I was going for.

All with a side of Strawberry Banana Smoothie...which I also bought today just for a breakfast dinner (and as a way to sneak fruit into Miss E and O's stomachs...for some reason, bananas and strawberries are SO much more palatable when hidden in yogurt, ice, and orange juice)

Anyway, throughout this whole dinner process, I kept thinking: this is such a simple menu! Why does it seem so complicated? Yep. Probably because I made 5 different things verses, say, Tuna Helper which is all in one happy pan. sigh. Live and learn.

And now, I'll add: live and learn and go lay down. Whew.

No comments: