Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanksgiving Eve

I'm saving the big guns for tomorrow, because I do like to procrastinate. That being said, today I am grateful for many a random thing such as:

1. "The West Wing." Yes, the television series. Early this morning (I'm talking 1:30ish, Gentle Reader...it was a Long Night), when I was up with Miss Q, we were flipping channels and guess what? The Dish Guide indicated Bravo was showing "The West Wing" again!!! Yippee!! I literally squealed. I love this show! Even the repeats are so satisfying to watch for me. Why? How? I mean, I am an admitted social conservative, and the West Wing is all about a Democratic Presidency. But I love to watch politics and, I honestly believe that, for the most part, people are trying to do their best to serve. Granted, I also believe there are power hungry people who use politics to further their ambition, but that happens on both sides of the fence. "The West Wing" reminds me, though, that there is true good and service minded people on both sides of the fence. Plus, I just loved the drama and comedy and pacing and the subtle romances and the acting and...just loved the show. So happy Bravo is repeating it!

2. Magazines that have new recipes to try. They say that you shouldn't try out new recipes ON Thanksgiving. Oh well for that tip. If you know me, Gentle Reader, you'll know that such advice is rarely headed by yours truly (anyone remember the Hair Color near fiasco of my wedding???) Anyhoo. I've made a Pumpkin Cheesecake (a no bake one, even) from a recipe from Real Simple. We'll see how that turns out. I'm excited, though. :) (on a completely different note, and I'm trying not to dwell, but I just gotta say that "unflavored gelatin" STINKS something unholy. Ewwww.)

3. I truly am grateful that we made it out alive and in one piece from today's Thanksgiving Grocery Shopping Extravaganza. "We" being me and the girls. I tell you, we were like a float during the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade! Seriously, I kept having to tell the girls to keep one hand on the cart, which they did great at doing (for the most part...Miss O tended to brazenly hoof it down various isle or not take corners with us, but overall, well done), but then they wouldn't move to get out of the way of on-coming shoppers. I realize I still need to learn better verbal commands when moving my "fleet" out and about, but again, overall, they did really well. Miss Q didn't even have a melt down until we were in the checkout line. Talk about blessings. lol.

"We can live in thanksgiving daily by opening our arms to those around us. When was the last time you told someone you love how much they mean to you? When was the last time you expressed your gratitude to someone who has always been there for you, someone who has sacrificed for you, someone whose heart has always been filled with hopes and dreams for you?

"When was the last time you unselfishly reached out to help another in need? Every time we cheer another's heart, every time we ease another's burden, every time we lift a weary hand, we show our gratitude to that God to whom we owe all that we have and all that we are.

"Choice blessings await those who live in thanksgiving daily. "He who receiveth all things with thankfulness," the Lord has promised, "shall be made glorious; and the things of this earth shall be added unto him, even an hundred fold, yea, more" (D&C 78:19).

"Don't wait to start. Open your eyes, open your hearts, and open your arms. I promise that as you do so, you will feel greater joy and happiness. Your life will have a new level of meaning. You will forge relationships that will transcend this life and endure through the eternities."
-Joseph B. Wirthlin, "'Live in Thanksgiving Daily'," Ensign, Sep 2001

No comments: