Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Day 5

Day 5 of the Attitude of Gratitude Challenge, already. Thanks to Katie for the quote!

“Both abundance and lack [of abundance] exist simultaneously in our lives, as parallel realities. It is always our conscious choice which secret garden we will tend … when we choose not to focus on what is missing from our lives but are grateful for the abundance that’s present—love, health, family, friends, work, the joys of nature, and personal pursuits that bring us [happiness]—the wasteland of illusion falls away and we experience heaven on earth.”
~Sarah Ban Breathnach, in John Cook, comp., The Book of Positive Quotations, 2nd ed. (2007), as quoted by Thomas S. Monson


And here's my list.

I am grateful for:

1. Steam Carpet Cleaners...today I actually cleaned several stains from my carpet that were aging and annoying me. It was so simple to do and so satisfying when done, as are many things once I get to them.

2. Photos and the perspective they give...Jason is working on putting together the digital pictures from our courtship/wedding and first year of marriage and getting it bound (you can do this at Costco.com, btw). This is going to sound vain, but I am amazed at how good I looked back then...of course, if you had asked me, I would have said that I thought I looked totally fat and gross. Ha! hahahahahahha! Ohhhhh, how things change and I could kick myself for being so unkind to myself back then.

3. And speaking of perspective, I am so glad for people who share a different perspectives on life. For example, a very offensive commercial that I saw that made me boiling mad was not as offensive to others, who were able to see a different side to it. Their calm and thoughtful analysis of the situation made me remember that I need to stop and think and reflect on what is really important and deserves to be either overlooked or dealt with. Everyone has a right to stand up for what they believe, but so do I. It's important to know when to do that, and I'm grateful for that reminder and for those perspectives.

No comments: