Friday, April 4, 2008

Blogging Ribs, Baby

We are having company tonight and I am making ribs (plus some other, hopefully, delectable stuff). So, I'm going to blog about it and keep you updated because I KNOW you are aching to hear all about this.

As an introduction to this, you should know that I've never made ribs before...and I'm trying not to freak out. One day, doing something like this will cause me to laugh triumphantly and cry, "I LOVE A CHALLENGE" at the top of my lungs. For now, it kinda creates a wee bit of anxiety (considering that I also feel the need to suddenly clean all the baseboards around my house, but that's a blog for another time). My friend Jennifer (who will be attending) has given me a recipe that she says is fool proof--thus an excellent recipe for me.

Gentle Reader, I LOVE to cook and can follow a recipe with the best of them. In fact, cooking normally calms me down and I find it sooooo satisfying. This confessed, I have discovered that I really DO NOT care to cut through rib/bones and can, with the UTMOST confidence, tell you that I do NOT want to be a butcher...ever...on the off chance that such an career opportunity presents itself. The smell of raw meat with even a hint of blood, in and of itself...not so pleasant for me. Yes. Cringeworthy. In a BIG BIG way. Maybe it's this pregnancy thing? I dunno. I just know... So. Gross. To. Me. And I've only cut into one package.

Here's the recipe:

BBQ Ribs
(original recipe yields 4 servings)

INGREDIENTS:

2 1/2 pounds country style pork ribs
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons salt
1 cup barbeque sauce (but seriously, you'll need more)
DIRECTIONS:
  • Place ribs in a large pot with enough water to cover. Season with garlic powder, black pepper and salt.
  • Bring water to a boil, and boil ribs until tender. 45 min-1 hr
  • Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
  • Remove ribs from pot, and place them in a 9x13 inch baking dish.
  • Pour barbeque sauce over ribs.
  • Cover dish with aluminum foil, and bake in the preheated oven for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until internal temperature of pork has reached 160 degrees F (70 degrees C).
  • Add more sauce to the top about 20 minutes before finished cooking.

No comments: